Welsh Mum Writing’s Bio: Welsh Mum Writing is a blog for working parents trying to juggle it all. Helen Treharne is the busy mum behind the blog and spends her days looking after her two year son, cat and husband and is committed to providing healthy, easy and affordable recipes that the whole family can enjoy. Helen loves to blog about finding time to have the best life and fitting it all in, including self-care and delicious nutritious recipes.
Here is Helen’s quick family chicken casserole that can be cooked in less than twenty minutes and can feed a family. Enjoy now or prepare for a delicious lunch for the week ahead.
This recipe makes four portions and can be frozen.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of dried herbs
- A handful of kale
- 1/4 cup of tomato puree or good quality tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons of cornflour (optional)
- A small tin of beans – berlotti, canellini or similar (optional)
1. Dice the chicken and add to a large pan with a little oil and chopped onion. On a medium heat, allow to brown.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and stir.
3. Pour over the stock – just enough to cover everything and simmer for 15 minutes. The sauce will have started to reduce. If you however prefer a thicker sauce, sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of cornflour to thicken it.
4. Add the Kale and tomato paste/ sauce, and a tablespoon of dried herbs.
5. Now would be a good time to add in your choice of tinned beans.
6. Leave for five minutes so that the ingredients absorb the flavours of the sauce and then serve hot.
7. Enjoy with a crusty loaf of bread, or perhaps a side of new potatoes.