I Prefer Cooking's Bio: Simple, tasty and healthy food is what Amy believes is at the heart of a good meal. Amy Taylor is a journalist with a focus on food and health as well as women's issues. Amy loves writing and cooking and would like to educate young people on creating delicious and affordable healthy meals at home.
Amy’s Top Foodie Tip: Rice doesn’t have to be boring, this dish is sure to excite taste buds whilst not upsetting your bank balance. This rice dish is set to be a winner at your dinner table.
This recipe makes 2 portions.
Cooking time: 50 mins.
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100g frozen vegetables
- 5 button mushrooms
- 4 sausages
- 1 white onion
- 200g wholemeal rice
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the wholemeal rice for 35 minutes or until the water is absorbed and it’s light and fluffy.
- While the rice is cooking, grill the sausages until golden brown.
- Chop up the onion and mushrooms, then gently fry in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Once browned, add the tinned tomatoes to the frying pan.
- When the sausages are cooked through, chop up into bite-sized chunks and add to the pan. Leave on a low heat.
- When rice is cooked, place in a large baking dish, add the tomato mixture, and then some frozen vegetables and mix well.
- Add the spices and mix.
- Place in the oven for a further 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.